Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Approval Process, Murals In The Stairwell

For Journalism 392 I spoke with the library staff about how those murals end up in our stairwells.

I spoke with a library employee at the information desk. She was thrilled to have someone ask questions about the murals in the stair wells. She happily told me the process that is used to determine what murals fill the walls. They are all painted by student volunteers. And the selection process for mural concepts is pretty straight forward.

An ambitious student approaches the UMass Arts Council, who hears the proposal. If they like an idea, it is given a tentative green-light. The student then creates a life sized draft of the version on a large sheet of paper. She then returns to the Arts Council, who gives their final "yay" or "nay." With the hoped for "yay," the student can commence painting. The council provides all materials the artist needs.

UMass has a small sideshow featuring some of the murals here.

The Arts Council, the approving body, has an online presence here.

Here you can take a look at my crude attempt to do some formal analysis.

2 comments:

  1. I want to see a photo of this information-desk employee. I think that would add something to the piece. Wondering why you didn't include that? Were you afraid she would be camera shy or did you not have a camera of any kind with you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't have a camera with me, but that would've added something to the post for sure. She wasn't crazy about the idea of giving me her name, but I thought she had good information so I went with it. My very first anonymous source!

    ReplyDelete