Sunday, October 31, 2010

Jon Stewart's Concluding Remarks Are Worth Hearing (US Politics Today)

I had originally intended to do a "highlights of the rally" kind of post.  Then I realized Stewart's speech at the end of the rally really was the most important, interesting, and relevant part.  It's only 12 minutes long, but it's some of the most important 12 minutes of footage I've seen on TV this last year.



It's media criticism, but it's objective criticism, at it couldn't have come at a better time.  Everyone of us has watched the national press embarrass itself again and again.  We've all fallen victim to sensationalist headlines.  And we've all used intellectually dishonest generalizations when describing our political/ideological opponents.

Here's the thing.  It's those instances of weakness, selfish extremism, and frustrated venting that make the most noise.  They travel the furthest, and they gain the most attention. 

At 2.9 hours into the rally, I was ready to conclude it really was a mindless waste of time.  Now I'm re-examining the kind of blogger I want to be, and the kind of news junkie I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment