Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Another Look At Multimedia Story Telling

This week, I'm taking a look at two multi-media projects for my Journalism class.  To start with, I'm checking out a piece hosted by the Canadian National Film Board.

You can check it out here.

It's not the slick interface, or the fast loading time you'll first notice when you start this project.  No, it's the asinine vocal sound effects in the opening screen.  I always wonder about web designers who include these sort of over powered repeating sounds.

Quickly, I click through.

It's a pretty great project, all things considered.  This format is very conducive to story telling.  I got engrossed in the narrator's recounting of her experiences.  I like how she sets the stage for each upcoming event,  and how she details the dangers (runaway komiticks, falling through the ice, polar bars, broken limbs) she'll face, and how she helps you get a decent sense of what that cold frozen place must be like.
 
The project's creators use maps at the start of each slide, and vital stats like distance traveled, and temperature are posted with each new update.  This is a wonderful idea.  Excusing the sound effect lunacy at the beginning of the slide show, effects and music are used judiciously throughout the duration.  

On the technical side, I didn't have any problem viewing the project on my newly Linux running PC.  Not bad Film Board of Canada.  Besides a small formatting error, that is. 

The second project I took a look at is called We Choose The Moon, and it's a 40 year celebration of Apollo 11, posted in 2009.  It uses real transmissions from ground control, and a lot of CGI, to tell the story of that mission.  

Check it out here.

I don't like the CGI at all, but the transmissions are certainly interesting.  That said, the great white north seems to be a more interesting subject.  Probably because you get to talk to and hear from the adventurers themselves.  That, and I'm already pretty familiar with the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment