Thursday, December 2, 2010

Ubuntu Gaming

About a week ago I found myself staring at a blank computer monitor.

Just moments before, my shoddy monitor had shown my XP install crumbling before the onslaught of a virus.  In disgust, I'd jammed my chubby thumb into my tower's power button.  I held it in until the ancient fans finally shut down. 

It was satisfying.

I've been using XP for nearly a decade now.  I've tried Vista, and Windows 7, but I never saw the point of either.  As long as games supported XP, I was perfectly content to putz along with my speedy and stable OS.

I decided I wouldn't try and do a system recovery.  With my school work on Google Docs, and the few games I cared about on Steam, what was the point?  To recover my bloated chrome favorites folder, or the hundreds of pending todo.txt files?  pish

An hour later, and I was still rooting around my apartment.  I'd over turned boxes, displaced my mattress, upset my closets.  That damned XP disk, where was it?

Then I looked under an itchy sweater, and there sat an Ubuntu install disk.  I'm flooded with relief, at least now I can get back online and compulsively check my RSS feeds.  Install goes well, a massive update took a while, and reddit told me how to kill IPv6 ( I don't know what this is, but it's hateful).  Things were groovy, until my trigger finger started to itch.

I can do everything on my new Linux box.  Everything except game.  Here's hoping I can get my fix with help from this site.  It's not much, but I'm sure as hell not shelling out a few hundred bucks for a new operating system just to play over-priced "AAA" games.

Fellow Linux users, where else can I turn for supported games?

2 comments:

  1. You do know that you can sync your Chrome favorites to your Google account so that all you have to do is re-sync a new install and you get them all back, right?

    ReplyDelete